Region 13 - Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming
Bishop Jorge Rodriguez, Ph. D.
V Encuentro Lead Bishop
Diocese of Salt Lake City
Follow Region 13 on Social Media
Region XIII includes the states of Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming; the Archdioceses of Denver and Santa Fe; and the Dioceses of Cheyenne, Colorado Springs, Gallup, Las Cruces, Phoenix, Pueblo, Salt Lake City, and Tucson.
Pastoral Profile of Region XIII in Hispanic / Latino Ministry
Diocesan personnel dedicated to Hispanic ministry in the Region:*
- In offices of Hispanic Ministry:† 20
- Responsible for Pastoral Juvenil Hispana: 1
- In ethnic/multicultural or other specialized offices: 3
- Office personnel assisting these leaders: 5
Estimated Hispanic Catholic population:
- 742,000 immigrant Hispanic Catholics
- 1,798,000 Hispanic Catholics born in the U.S.
- 61% of the Catholics in the Region are Hispanic / Latino
Parishes with Hispanic / Latino Ministry: 307
Masses in Spanish
- Weekly Masses: 506
- Once-a-month Masses: 10
- Average attendance per Mass: 285 (5.8% of all Hispanic Catholics)
Among Catholic children from 0 to 17 years old:
- 68% are Hispanics / Latinos born in the U.S.
- 4% are immigrant Hispanics / Latinos
- In K-8 Catholic schools, 40.9% are Hispanics / Latinos
- In Catholic high schools, 25.8% are Hispanics / Latinos
Hispanic / Latino ecclesial ministers serving in the Region:
- Immigrant priests: 147
- U.S.-born priests: 99
- Religious sisters and brothers: 136
- Deacons: 323
- Lay ecclesial ministers: 303
The V Encuentro in Region XIII
- Sent 258 delegates to the National Encuentro, including 2 ENAVE/ERAVE and 12 bishops.
- The Regional Encuentro was celebrated with 413 delegates and 12 bishops.
- 10 Diocesan Encuentros were celebrated, with total attendance of 1,648.
- 196 parishes / organizations conducted the five sessions and 149 held a Parish Encuentro.
- 3,760 leaders from 241 parishes received training for the V Encuentro in 157 trainings.
Main areas of new outreach in parishes through the V Encuentro:
- Hispanic / Latino young adults
- English-speaking Hispanics / Latinos
- Incarcerated or detained people
* Of the ten (arch)dioceses in the Region, only one does not have an office or personnel for Hispanic Ministry or Multicultural Ministry.
† May include personnel in other offices when their responsibility is for the Latino community, such as the Director of Hispanic Catechesis.
We Celebrate Our Reality Together… We Are Not So Alone Anymore!
The V Encuentro has definitely strengthened thePastoral de Conjunto of the ten dioceses that make up Region XIII. Through the Regional Encuentro, this approach became even more profound, because when all the dioceses of Region XIII met, we went from being an institution to becoming a great family.
Despite the challenges of being a region composed mostly of mission dioceses located in an extensive geographic territory, collaboration and accompaniment among the leadership of each diocese have been exemplary, and an effective support network for Hispanic ministry has been created. We hope it will continue to grow ever stronger.
We met personally, and we shared food, thoughts, experiences, and dreams. We celebrated our realities together and we felt that our Lord is with us. Now we can truly say that we are a Churchen salida, and we are not so alone anymore!
Download this information in a PDF Piktogram.
Region 13: Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, WyomingUpdated 9.24.18
|Region 13 Totals|
|Salt Lake City|