Region 8 - Minnesota, South Dakota, North Dakota
Bishop Andrew Cozzens
V Encuentro Lead Bishop
Archdiocese of St. Paul – Minneapolis
Region VIII includes the states of Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota; the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis; and the Dioceses of Bismarck, Crookston, Duluth, Fargo, New Ulm, Rapid City, Sioux Falls, St. Cloud, and Winona-Rochester.
Pastoral Profile of Region II in Hispanic / Latino Ministry
Diocesan personnel dedicated to Hispanic ministry in the Region:*
- In offices of Hispanic Ministry:† 7
- Responsible for Pastoral Juvenil Hispana: 2
- In ethnic/multicultural or other specialized offices: 1
- Office personnel assisting these leaders: 1
Estimated Hispanic Catholic population:
- 81,000 immigrant Hispanic Catholics
- 100,000 Hispanic Catholics born in the U.S.
- 11% of the Catholics in the Region are Hispanic / Latino
Parishes with Hispanic / Latino Ministry: 66
Masses in Spanish
- Weekly Masses: 70
- Once-a-month Masses: 14
- Average attendance per Mass: 223 (10.3% of all Hispanic Catholics)
Among Catholic children from 0 to 17 years old:
- 18% are Hispanics / Latinos born in the U.S.
- 1.5% are immigrant Hispanics / Latinos
- In K-8 Catholic schools, 4.5% are Hispanics / Latinos
- In Catholic high schools, 7.6% are Hispanics / Latinos
Hispanic / Latino ecclesial ministers serving in the Region:
- Immigrant priests: 18
- U.S.-born priests: 1
- Religious sisters and brothers: 25
- Deacons: 6
- Lay ecclesial ministers: 45
The V Encuentro in Region VIII
- Sent 62 delegates to the National Encuentro, including 2 ENAVE/ERAVE and 3 bishops.
- The Regional Encuentro was celebrated with 200 delegates and 3 bishops.
- 5 Diocesan Encuentros were celebrated, with total attendance of 1,569.
- 36 parishes / organizations conducted the five sessions and 28 held a Parish Encuentro.
- 745 leaders from 43 parishes received training for the V Encuentro in 26 trainings.
Main areas of new outreach in parishes through the V Encuentro:
- Hispanic / Latino young adults
- The incarcerated and detained
- Migrants and campesinos in rural areas
* Of the ten (arch)dioceses in the Region, six do not have an office or personnel for Hispanic Ministry or Multicultural Ministry.
† May include personnel in other offices when their responsibility is for the Latino community, such as the Director of Hispanic Catechesis.
Going Forth Without Fear to Evangelize
One of the main fruits of the V Encounter in our Region is that we have recovered some dioceses that did not participate much, and we have awakened the interest of others that previously had no ministry to “go forth” into the peripheries and consider serving this people in the near future.
As a result of attentive and kind listening, we were able to identify our pastoral priorities, mainly the great need for welcome and accompaniment that families, young people and new immigrants have. We have also paid more attention to the training of new and emerging leaders, especially young people.
We saw the change of our missionary disciples becoming aware of their baptismal call and going out without fear to evangelize and proclaim their faith. This visible missionary action was received with great joy; the people thirst to be heard and accompanied.
Download this information in a PDF Piktogram.
Region 8: Minnesota, South Dakota, North DakotaUpdated 12.26.18
|St. Paul & Minneapolis|
|Region 8 Totals|