Region 2 - New York
Bishop Octavio Cisneros
Diocese of Rockville Centre
Region II includes the state of New York; the Archdiocese of New York; and the Dioceses of Albany, Brooklyn, Buffalo, Ogdensburg, Rochester, Rockville Centre, and Syracuse.
Pastoral Profile of Region II in Hispanic / Latino Ministry
Diocesan personnel dedicated to Hispanic ministry in the Region:
- In offices of Hispanic Ministry:* 14
- Responsible for Pastoral Juvenil Hispana: 1
- In ethnic / multicultural or other specialized offices: 5
- Office personnel assisting these leaders: 4
Estimated Hispanic Catholic population:
- 1,142,000 immigrant Hispanic Catholics
- 922,000 Hispanic Catholics born in the U.S.
- 31% of the Catholics in the Region are Hispanic / Latino
Parishes with Hispanic / Latino Ministry: 322
Masses in Spanish
- Weekly Masses: 513
- Once-a-month Masses: 7
- Average attendance per Mass: 294 (7.4% of all Hispanic Catholics)
Among Catholic children from 0 to 17 years old:
- 36% are Hispanics / Latinos born in the U.S.
- 5% are immigrant Hispanics / Latinos
- In K-8 Catholic schools, 20.4% are Hispanics / Latinos
- In Catholic high schools, 16.3% are Hispanics / Latinos
Hispanic / Latino ecclesial ministers serving in the Region:
- Immigrant priests: 122
- U.S.-born priests: 54
- Religious sisters and brothers: 129
- Deacons: 147
- Lay ecclesial ministers: 269
The V Encuentro in Region II
- Sent 124 delegates to the National Encuentro, including 2 ENAVE / ERAVE and 7 bishops.
- The Regional Encuentro was celebrated with 251 delegates and 8 bishops.
- 6 Diocesan Encuentros were celebrated, with total attendance of 1,900.
- 178 parishes / organizations conducted the five sessions and 166 held a Parish
- 1,534 leaders from 181 parishes received training for the V Encuentro in 29
Main areas of new outreach in parishes through the V Encuentro:
- Hispanic / Latino young adults
- People living in housing projects
- Homeless people
*May include personnel in other offices when their responsibility is for the Latino community, such as the Director of Hispanic Catechesis.
A Seed that Springs Forth, Bringing Joy and Unity in the Holy Spirit
The V Encuentro has united the eight dioceses and has drawn together the diocesan leaders and pastoral agents in the various dioceses of Region II. We can say that in presenting the V Encuentroit has been like a seed that springs forth, realizing that we grow together without differences of color or race, that we are one people in the Lord, who walks by our side through baptism and communion.
The bishops have been very open to this process and have instilled a deeper awareness in each participant. They have been enthusiastic about the fruits they have experienced through the participation of many different diocesan and archdiocesan groups.
The Holy Spirit has been the architect of all the fruits achieved. He has guided us, united us, and continues to move us to evangelizing action, proclaiming the kingdom of God to all. We are truly blessed to live this moment in the life of the Catholic Church.
Download this information in a PDF Piktogram.
Region 2: New YorkUpdated 12.26.18
|Region 2 Totals|